Donnerstag, 14. Oktober 2010

Could you close the window please, i am freezing!!!

Well normally i write about things i don't understand or don't like here in Germany. Since i live here there is much more about to write.
Today i want to tell you something i don't get about the USA. Maybe it is also just something my girlfriend and her family does so i shouldn't generalize.
I commented on another blog that I have to admit that i like aircondition. Yes you other germans out there: I LOVE IT!!!! and not just in the car. In early july when it was so f.... hot here in Berlin we almost bought an ac, but we didn't at the end because we worried about the additional costs of electricity.
In the US it is so cold inside (especially stores) that i think you could store dead bodies in these buildings. And that is to much for me sometimes.
Now the weather got cold here in Berlin but i believe it is still not that cold outside that you couldn't open a window. And even in winter i do it at least once a day for 5 minutes. I like the air and i hate how apartments smell after a few days without opening the window.
So here is my question: Why does my girlfriend never complain about the freezing temperatures in american stores, restaurants, etc. during summer, but after one minute with open windows now she tells me to close it because she is freezing??? Is it maybe the killer draft she fears while my countrymen do that when it is hot??? I always thought Americans like it cold. Rooms, drinks with ice cubes, etc. This doesn't match for me...

1 Kommentar:

  1. Thanks for stopping by. And let me give you an answer to this question: in stores we don't complain about the cold because we expect it and bring sweaters with us wherever we go throughout the summer. At home, what I miss most is moving air and have fans in all my rooms. I have my window open right now,but I think it is so silly to heat the outdoors when what I really want is moving air, so I will close it soon and turn the ceiling fan on.
    I particularly dislike it when I am at VHS and the teacher opens the window behind me, freezing me and my neck, and then closes it after "airing the room", leaving us in a foetid, dank room heated by too many bodies: there is no in-between because there is no air movement.

    AntwortenLöschen